Friday, July 18, 2014

Make Healthy Dog Treats for weight gain and healthy skin and coat

There's only one breed of dog at The Crafty Homestead,
you might expect it to be a livestock guardian breed,
but you'd be wrong.

Bree playing on the trail
Bree smiling on our nature trail
We love Boxers!
And Boxers are such high energy animals that it can be hard to get them to gain weight.
This is a recipe I found at Holistic Dog  I have been using for the past 3 years with my boxers and I wholeheartedly recommend it as a healthy treat and weight gain supplement.
My Bree is a picky eater and this helps her keep a good weight.
I give my girls 3-4 treats daily to maintain beautiful coats, energy level, and a full appetite.
For weight gain I give 1/4 pound up to three times a day.

A Reader's Recipe:
5 pounds ground meat
5 cups Total whole grain cereal
5 cups oats (slow cooking type)
2½ cups raw wheat germ
¾ cup oil
¾ cup molasses
6 egg yolks
5 packets gelatin
2 ½ tablespoons Solid Gold Sea meal supplement

  • Mix up, form balls, freeze, feed as treats or food supplement.
  • Mix all ingredients together thoroughly like you would a meatloaf.
  • Roll into balls no larger than 1 inch diameter.
  • Divide into at least 6 separate containers or bags. Freeze. Thaw as needed for feeding.
Mixing it all up can be a bit of a pain so I usually make two batches at a time just so I always have plenty on hand.
I haven't met a dog yet that didn't wolf them down and beg for more so they're great for even the pickiest pups.
In the interest of full disclosure, I must confess that I don't bother separating the eggs. We eat whole eggs here, shell and all. ok, not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment