Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Can you grow Strawberries in an old tire?

I sure hope so because that's my plan for the boy's strawberry patch this season. We've been filling a large tractor tire and two smaller tires with compost and straw from the goat pen and finally got them filled up enough to plant. I had a little tray of 6 plants that we carefully tucked into the straw.



I was proudly showing off the newly filled tire planters to my neighbor EJ, who, being a local, kindly pointed out that in the South Carolina summer sun, they would probably be cooked in the tires. Yea, I didn't think of that, you see I'm used to growing in the mountains where you are always working to warm up the soil and extend your short growing season, baking the plants in their beds never occurred to me. I am having to practically start from scratch here, everything I knew about plants and growing in the mountains is right out the window.  Different soil, different climate. This is our first growing season here, I know I'll make mistakes but I'll be learning every step of the way.



Well, I wish you luck strawberries, I hope you don't get cooked before harvest!
Now before you go accusing me of cruelty to strawberries I do believe they have a good chance of survival, they get some shade in the late afternoons and with three young garden helpers to be sure they're well watered, I'm sure they won't suffer from neglect.


How do you grow your Strawberries?

No comments:

Post a Comment